The Department of Public Works is responsible for the administration, operation and maintenance of the City's Cemetery. The services offered by the Wenatchee Cemetery include all burial services from full-ground interment to cremation-niche inurnment. The Cemetery staff is responsible for the sale of burial plots, cremation niches, burial containers and memorial markers, coordination of burial arrangements with funeral directors and families, gravesite opening and closing services and all grounds maintenance for the entire 34-acre site. There are currently over 18,500 interred at the Cemetery and the facility averages nearly 200 services each year.
The Cemetery first operated as a private facility, and the earliest sales date back to August 1895. At this time a development was started with the removal of remains from private burial grounds throughout the Valley to this new and permanent location. With the passage of time and the growth of our community, the Cemetery kept pace until 1929, at which time the City of Wenatchee acquired and began operations of the facility.
During this time, the City Of Wenatchee began a systematic effort to clean and landscape the grounds. An Endowment Care Fund was established to maintain the grounds and allow for for pre-need sales.
In 1940, the City Of Wenatchee and Chelan County acquired an additional nine acres adjoining the original tract to allow for expansion.
In 1944 the south section, now know as the Veteran Memorial Section, was purchased and immediate development began. In 1948, this section was dedicated to all war veterans. The Veterans Memorial Monument, which identifies this section, was sponsored by the Veterans Organizations and Auxiliary Groups and unveiled on Memorial Day, 1953. This section is exclusively for veterans and their spouses.
A beautiful monument honoring G.A.R. veterans was erected by members of Dan McCook Post #105 and the Womens Relief Corps #15, Department of Washington and Alaska. This monument was dedicated in 1916 in memory of our country's defenders.
Located on the west side of the Cemetery is Babyland. This section is identified by a beautiful monument which was dedicated in 1947. Lullabyland is the newest baby section and is located at the North end of the Cemetery. Lullabyland can be identified by the stone walkway leading to a large flower bed.
The Home Of Peace Mausoleum was constructed in 1916 and is located at 850 South Miller Avenue. The Hillcrest Mausoleum was dedicated in 1963 and is located at the Cemetery. It contains both crypts and cremation niches. A cremation niche wall is located south and west of the Hillcrest Mausoleum and a plaza was created in 2006 to fulfill the current demand for more cremation niche space. In-ground cremation plots are also available in both Section F and the Veterans Section.
The Cemetery Fund derives its revenue from the following three sources: fees charged for services, the sale of burial plots, cremation spaces, memorial markers and other products, and the interest revenue from the Cemetery Endowment Fund. The Cemetery Endowment Fund receives a portion of all plot sales to help provide for future maintenance costs of the Cemetery. The Cemetery Endowment Fund principal cannot be allocated for current expenditures. However, the interest income is transferred to the operating fund to offset operating costs.