The Finance Department’s mission is to assist the Mayor, Council, City staff and citizens in the areas of financial planning, budgeting, reporting and overall stewardship of the City’s resources.
The Finance Department is charged with the responsibility of the administration, coordination, supervision and control of all financial activities of the City. These functions are performed through a combination of interrelated activities including financial management, general accounting and customer services.
- Financial management responsibilities include activities such as budget development and monitoring, treasury control and management of the City’s cash and investment portfolio, debt financing and management including periodic updates of bond ratings, and working with Public Works staff on periodic utility rate studies. Additionally, with the Human Resources Department, the Finance Department collectively administers the City’s risk management and self-insurance programs.
- General accounting responsibilities include activities such as internal and external financial reporting, general ledger accounting, audit coordination, cash receipting, payroll processing, accounts payable and accounts receivable and purchasing.
- Customer service staff is often the first contact the public has with City government. They answer questions regarding City operations and direct customers to other City departments when necessary. Customer service activities include:
- Utility billing and collection of the City’s water, sewer, garbage and storm drain utilities
- Business license issuance
- Local improvement district billings
For more information, we invite you to view the following documents:
2011 Annual Financial Report 2010 Annual Financial Report
2009 Annual Financial Report 2008 Annual Financial Report
2007 Annual Financial Report
2013 Budget Document 2012 Budget Document
2011 Budget Document 2010 Budget Document
2009 Budget Document 2008 Budget Document
2007 Budget Document
Financial Management Policies (as of 8-23-12)