Skip to page body Home Out City Departments Services What's Happening Community Doing Business Facilities
With regard to the potential annexation areas, it is important to know that these areas are located in the City’s Urban Growth Area. Because of this, the City and County Development Codes are identical, including:
- Livestock / Poultry Standards
- Building Codes
- Zoning Code
- Subdivision Standards
- Legal Non-Conforming Use (“Grandfathered”) Standards

Q: Why does the City desire to annex my area?
The City’s charter is to provide efficient urban services and to provide governance of an urban community. Areas of County generally surrounded by the City create operational inefficiencies for City and County services as well as confusion between both City and County residents.

Q: Can I have farm animals?
1. If you currently have farm animals nothing will change when annexed.
2. If you do not currently have farm animals, the City has provisions to allow some livestock and poultry.
3. Livestock / poultry standards in your area of the County are the same as the City’s.

Q: What services are provided by the City?
1. Extended 24/7 Police protection
- The Wenatchee Police Department maintains a well-staffed Department to provide an urban level of service within the City. While your area is currently being served by Wenatchee First Responders, it is not included in standard patrol routes. Upon annexation, standard patrols throughout your neighborhood will be added.
2. Extended 24/7 Fire protection
3. Access to sewer becomes available
4. Extended City street maintenance
- Inclusion in City street sweeping routes
- Inclusion in City snow plowing routes
- Availability of City pavement and repaving services
- Eligible for City grant applications for street improvements/reconstruction
5. Inclusion in City negotiated garbage plan
- 4 free self-haul dumps per year
- Curbside removal (including garbage containers and up to 4 extra bags per week)
- Weekly recycling
6. Extended Humane Society City services
- While the City has maintained a full level of animal control services, Chelan County has recently changed their service agreement. For a review of the Chelan County levels of service, please click here. For more information regarding animal control and Humane Society services please visit their website at
7. City Parks and Recreation
- Resident price at City Pool
- Community Center
8. Community Development (building permits, code enforcement, planning)
- The City office is open Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm (excluding holidays)
- The Department provides next-day building inspections and issues same-day building permits for minor projects.
- The City maintains a full-time Code Compliance Officer that investigates complaints regarding potential code violations.
- The Department administers no-interest deferred-payment housing rehabilitation loans for income-qualified owner / occupants.
9. Museum and Cultural Center
10. Neighborhood chipper service

Q: Will my rural setting change?
1. The City respects your rights as a property owner and annexation will not require you to develop your property. You already live in an urban growth area that permits development whether you are in the City or the County.
2. Development Codes in your area of the County are the same as the City’s

Q: If my property is annexed, will I be required to connect to sewer?
1. No, but you will be able to obtain sewer.
2. If a sewer main is not in your street, sewer is extended through a Local Improvement District or by a developer.
3. If a sewer main is already in your street, then connection to sewer is easily accessible.
4. If annexed, the City may be eligible to apply for sewer grants for your neighborhood.

Q: Will my taxes / utility rates change? (Click here for sample comparison)
1. The total taxes a residential property owner would pay if their property were annexed are generally very similar to those already being paid in the County.
2. Tax structures are different in the City and the County, please refer to the sample for these differences.
3. If connected to City sewer, your bill will reduce 33% after annexation.
4. Your garbage bill will reduce. Additionally, City garbage services include recycling and 4 free self-serve waste dumps per year.
5. City Utility Tax will increase slightly for water service.

Q: If annexed, do I obtain building permits from the County or the City?
1. After annexation, building permits will be obtained from the City and not the County.
2. If you already have a building permit, the City will honor the permit you have obtained from the County.
3. In your area, the City and the County Building codes are the same.

Q: Does the City provide animal control services?
Yes, the City works closely with the Humane Society in order to provide a full level of animal control services.

Q: If annexed into the City, how is my agricultural operation impacted?
1. Agriculture is a permitted use in all residential zones. You will be able to continue to farm as long as you choose.
2. In your area, the City and County permitted land uses (including agriculture) are the same.

Q: If annexed, will my zoning change?
1. No.
2. In your area, the City and the County Zoning designations are the same.

Q: Does the City have any pending lawsuits or liabilities that would affect me if annexed?
1. No.
2. The City is proud to say that it does not currently have any substantial pending lawsuits or liabilities.

Q: Will annexation change school district boundaries?
No, annexation will not change any school district boundaries.

Q: I have a concealed weapon permit. If I annex, would I have to go to the Wenatchee Police Department to renew it?
No, you would not be required to process a new or renewed concealed weapon permit through the Wenatchee Police Department. You may do so at any law enforcement agency in the State.

Q: Would annexation trigger a requirement to install curbs, gutters, and sidewalks?
1. No.
2. Curbs, gutters, and sidewalks are triggered with substantial redevelopment.
3. In your area, City and County development standards are the same.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Download Acrobat Reader Download Flash Player Download QuickTime Download Windows Media Player Download Microsoft Silverlight Download Word Viewer Download Excel Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer
Last updated: 11/28/2012 10:20:23 AM