Annexation is the process in which Chelan County property, located inside the Wenatchee Urban Growth Area (UGA), becomes part of the city. The annexation process is intended to ensure orderly growth and urban-level services as population increases and development occurs.
In an ongoing effort to ensure the open flow of information regarding the annexation process, please refer to this webpage for updates. If you have questions or would like to receive additional information about the annexation process, please contact the Department of Community & Economic Development at (509) 888-3253.
- For a brief description of possible annexation methods please click here. For a more detailed description of all annexation methods please refer to the Municipal Research and Services Center of Washington's Annexation Handbook.
2016 Island Annexation Process - Updated September 15, 2016
As the city limits have expanded over time, several small "islands" or pockets of Chelan County have remained. Over the past five years, property owners completing this annexation process have reduced many of these island areas in size. While it is anticipated this approach and process will naturally continue, providing services in the current size and location of the islands has become increasingly inefficient for both the City and the County.
To see if your property is within one of the islands - please click here to see the detailed location maps.
Chelan County and the City of Wenatchee agree that both residents and service providers could benefit through increased service efficiency if the islands become part of the city. - August 29, 2016 Letter from Chelan County Commissioners. To facilitate this process, the Mayor and City Council initiated the 2016 annexation process outlined below.
Timeline - Important Upcoming Dates
- September 22, 2016: The Wenatchee City Council will consider a resolution to initiate the annexation process of each island (each island will be a separate resolution). A resolution is required to set a future Public Hearing date at which time each island area will be formally considered by the City Council.
- OCTOBER 27, 2016: PUBLIC HEARING to consider each individual island. If the City Council approves the annexation, an Ordinance for each island will be signed by the mayor and will become effecive after a 45 day waiting period. The 45 day waiting period allows voters within an annexation area to petition the city for referendum (vote) on the annexation.
- December 11, 2016 - end of 45-day waiting period for filing a petition
- February 14, 2017 - special election if a sufficient petition is filed