The City of Wenatchee completed a comprehensive update of the Wenatchee Urban Area Plan and accompanying development regulations in 2006. RCW 36.70A.130 of the Washington State Growth Management Act requires the City of Wenatchee to take action to review and if needed, revise the city’s comprehensive plan and development regulations to comply with the provisions of the Act no later than June 30, 2017 for submittal to the Washington State Department of Commerce.
While the current update process is necessary to meet statutory requirements, it is an opportunity for the city to provide strategic amendments as necessary to build upon the significant public planning process of 2006. This update can analyze progress the community has made in reaching intended goals and make modifications to reflect new trends and community needs.
This web page will be maintained throughout the update process which will extend from April 1, 2016 through June 30, 2017 to provide interested parties:
- A summary of the steps and timeframes in the process;
- Identify opportunities to participate and receive notification;
- Provide additional information with links to documents and resources;
- List workshop dates and include draft amendments as they are developed; and
- List and publish public comment periods, and open house and hearing dates for review and comment on proposed amendments.
Key Steps and Timeframes:
2016: The City of Wenatchee Planning Commission will be conducting a series of workshops open to the public, to review and develop recommendations for potential amendments to each element of the comprehensive plan and any necessary development regulations beginning in April 2016 and extending through December 2016. Each month a packet of draft amendments and analysis shall be posted with the Planning Commission agenda as the elements of the comprehensive plan are reviewed. As the Planning Commission completes initial review of elements, they shall be posted on this web page. The Planning Commission meets on the third Wednesday of each month at the City of Wenatchee Council Chambers, located at 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee.
2017: In January 2017, the City of Wenatchee will issue an environmental determination and request for public comments for a 60 day review and comment period on any proposed amendments and environmental review. An open house shall be scheduled in February 2017 to provide information on the updates and gather additional feedback. Between January and April 2017 additional workshops may be held by the Planning Commission and City Council to review draft amendments and public comments. Beginning in April 2017 and extending through June 2017, the Planning Commission and City Council will hold public hearings on the amendments. Decisions on the amendment process must be completed by the City Council and submitted to the Washington State Department of Commerce no later than June 30, 2017 to be compliant with state mandated timeframes.
I have a comprehensive plan amendment application I wish to submit, when will it be reviewed? Applications for comprehensive plan amendments and associated zone changes submitted in 2016 and 2017 will be received and then processed in the 2018 calendar year. The City of Wenatchee is not authorized under State Law to process amendments to the comprehensive plan in multiple timeframes in one calendar year. This update process will conclude in mid-calendar year of 2017, allowing the City to process any comprehensive plan amendment applications in 2018.
How Can I Participate?
The public is encouraged to attend and observe scheduled workshops; review draft and recommended materials; call and or visit with planning staff with questions or concerns; and comment in writing and/or provide public testimony on the amendments during public comment periods and at scheduled public hearings. Please consider signing up under the “e”-notice on the City of Wenatchee Website for notification of scheduled public workshops and hearings. This webpage shall be maintained and updated during the process with important dates and draft documents. The City of Wenatchee wants and needs your input in this process.
Existing Documents, Resources, and Guidance Documents:
Listed below are a number of important links to documents and resources applicable to this update process.
- Existing City of Wenatchee comprehensive plans and related documents
- Wenatchee City Code
- Periodic Update Checklist for Cities, (Washington State Department of Commerce)
- Consistency Review Checklist, (Chelan-Douglas Transportation Council)
- RCW 36.70A, The Growth Management Act
- Minimum guidelines and requirements under the Washington Administrative Code, WAC
- Public Participation Plan and Schedule, Resolution No. 2016-13
- Downtown Strategic Parking Management Plan
- Wenatchee Urban Area Housing Needs Assessment & Market Demand Study - September 2016
Workshops and Public Hearings:
Dates for an "open house", workshops, and public hearings are listed below. Please consider signing up under the “e”-notice on the City of Wenatchee Website for notification of scheduled public workshops and hearings. Signing up for applicable notification allows the public to review the Planning Commission and Council agendas and packets with draft documents and materials for each workshop and hearing.
- Open House- February 15, 2017 4:00pm to 6:00PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. This will be a "drop in" open house to provide information on the update process and encourage public comments. Please stop by with comments or questions.
- Planning Commission Workshop - March 15, 2017 5:30 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. The Planning Commission will discuss the proposed plan in an open meeting.
- City Council Workshop - March 16, 2017 5:15 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. The Council will discuss the proposed plan in an open meeting.
- Public Hearing with Planning Commission - April 19, 2017 at 5:30 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall, 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. The Planning Commission will take public testimony on the proposed plan. They will have the option of making a recommendation to City Council at this meeting or holding another hearing at their scheduled meeting in May.
- City Council Workshop - April 20, 2017 5:15 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. The Council will discuss the proposed plan in an open meeting.
- Public Hearing with Planning Commission - May 17, 2017 at 5:30 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall, 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. The Planning Commission will take public testimony on the proposed plan. This is a continuation of the public hearing held on April 19.
- City Council Workshop - May 18, 2017 5:15 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. The Council will discuss the proposed plan in an open meeting.
- Final Public Hearing with City Council - June 8, 2017 at 5:15 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall, 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. After the public hearing, the City Council will make the final decision as to whether the proposed plan will be adopted. Public testimony will be taken during the hearing.
- Public Hearing on Compliance Resolution - June 15, 2017 at 5:15 PM in the Council Chambers of Wenatchee City Hall, 129 South Chelan Avenue, Wenatchee. After the public hearing, the City Council will consider a resolution declaring compliance with the periodic update requirements under the Growth Management Act. Public testimony will be taken during the hearing.
The documents below are the drafts that will be presented to the Planning Commission at the scheduled Public Hearing on June 8, 2017. Please review the documents and direct comments or questions to Planning Staff at the contact info provided below. Your comments are important to this process and will be provided to the City Council. Please also consider providing testimony at the scheduled public hearings.
Sub-Area Plan Proposed for Adoption by Reference
- Agenda Report
- Resolution 2017-35
- Exhibit A -Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law
- Exhibit B - Wenatchee Urban Area Plan
- Exhibit C - North Wenatchee Master Plan
- Exhibit D - South Wenatchee Action Plan
- Exhibit E - Land use designation map amendments
- Agenda Report
- Ordinance 2017-12 Version A
- Ordinance 2017-12 Version B
- Exhibit A - Findings of Fact and Conclusions of Law
- Exhibit B - Zoning Map Amendments
Comprehensive Plan Amendment:
Zoning Map Amendment: