The Wenatchee Police Department recognizes that partnerships are essential in providing long-term solutions to problems that arise in our community. Making arrests of those offenders that commit crimes is generally a temporary fix to a deeper community concern, therefore community partnerships, combined with problem-oriented policing, is the ideal approach for the City of Wenatchee. As such, the department strives to promote a safe community and optimum quality of life through protection and service.
The following is a list of essential community partnerships that allow our City to remain an ideal place to live:
- Chelan-Douglas County Traffic Safety Task Force: The Wenatchee Police Department is the host agency for the Chelan/Douglas County Traffic Safety Task Force. The coordinator is contracted to the department by the Washington Traffic Safety Commission through grant funding. The coordinator manages funding and organizes focused traffic safety education and enforcement campaigns with all law enforcement and public safety agencies in the valley.
- Columbia River Drug Task Force: Comprised of detectives from the Wenatchee Police Department, Chelan County Sheriff’s Office, and the Washington State Patrol, the Drug Task Force provides a regional and unified law enforcement approach to illegal drug activities.
- Washington State Apple Blossom Festival Public Safety Committee: This committee includes representatives from over 30 government agencies, businesses, and community groups. The committee was formed in 2002 to identify and develop proactive plans to counter public safety threats that have the potential to derail an otherwise safe and family-friendly community event. The committee has been successful in developing and implementing educational, safety and enforcement initiatives that ensure the festival is a safe and family-oriented event. To learn more, visit the Washington State Apple Blossom Festival website: www.appleblossom.org.
- Domestic and Sexual Violence Crisis Center: This Center provides services to all victims of crime including domestic violence, sexual assault, child neglect and abuse, and victims of crimes against people and property.
- Chelan/Douglas Local Emergency Planning Committee: This committee includes local public safety agencies, community members, facility representatives, and others to prepare and plan for local large-scale emergencies.