The Wenatchee Police Department currently features one school resource officer funded through a partnership with the Wenatchee School District and the City.
The role of a school resource officer includes the following:
- To actively support the overall safety of the staff and students within the school district. This includes providing a safe learning environment.
- To act as a law enforcement resource for school staff and students. This involves providing direction and assistance with school safety, personal safety, building security, and other legal matters.
- To be available to speak in the classrooms on relative topics such as illegal alcohol and drug use by minors, street gangs, safe internet use, and motor vehicle laws.
- To encourage compliance with school rules and criminal laws. This is accomplished through:
- Prevention – To encourage rule compliance and discourage disorderly or illegal conduct by being visibly present at the schools.
- Intervention – Intercepting questionable student behavior before it escalates to disruptive or criminal behavior.
- Enforcement – Investigating criminal behavior and taking appropriate action, which can include making physical arrests.