City of Wenatchee buildings are closed to the public at this time. Please read the City Services Update for more information. The City of Wenatchee is working with local partners to provide accurate information about the Coronavirus (COVID-19) to the public. If you have symptoms and reasons to believe your symptoms are connected to COVID-19, please call your healthcare provider. If you have any questions about what is happening in Washington and how the virus is spread, visit the Washington State Department of Health website at:

Annexation Frequently Asked Questions

Press Enter to show all options, press Tab go to next option

2016 Annexation Cost Comparison (pdf)

Q: What kinds of regulatory changes should I anticipate if my property is annexed?

A: With regard to the potential annexation areas, it is important to know that these areas are located in the City’s Urban Growth Area. Because of this, the City and County Development Codes are identical, including:
  • Livestock / Poultry Standards
  • Building Codes
  • Zoning Code
  • Subdivision Standards
  • Legal Non-Conforming Use (“Grandfathered”) Standards
The following aspects of being under city jurisdiction that are different include:
  • Business licenses are required for all businesses

Q: Why does the City desire to annex my area?

A: The City’s charter is to provide efficient urban services and to provide governance of an urban community. Areas of County generally surrounded by the City create operational inefficiencies for City and County services as well as confusion between both City and County residents. Furthermore, it is the goal of the city to facilitate a vibrant urban environment.

Q: Can I have farm animals?


  • If you currently have farm animals nothing will change when annexed.
  • If you do not currently have farm animals, the City has provisions to allow some livestock, poultry, and bees. Please contact the Planning Department for more information.
  • Livestock / poultry standards in your area of the County are the same as the City’s.

Q: What services are provided by the City?

  • Extended 24/7 Police protection. The Wenatchee Police Department maintains a well-staffed Department to provide an urban level of service within the City. While your area is currently being served by Wenatchee first responders, it is not included in standard patrol routes. Upon annexation, standard patrols throughout your neighborhood will be added.
  • Access to sewer becomes available
  • Extended City street maintenance
    • Inclusion in City street sweeping routes
    • Inclusion in City snow plowing routes
    • Availability of City pavement and repaving services
    • Eligible for City grant applications for street improvements/reconstruction
  • Inclusion in City negotiated garbage plan. Please contact Waste Management for details.
  • Extended Humane Society City services
    • The City has a full level of animal control services. For more information regarding animal control and Humane Society services please visit their website at
  • City Parks and Recreation
    • Resident price at City Pool
    • Community Center (contact Community Action Council)
    • Park Rentals
    • Youth Programs
  • Community and Economic Development (building permits, code enforcement, planning, economic development)
    • The City office at 1350 McKittrick Street is open Monday-Friday from 8:00am-5:00pm (excluding holidays)
    • The Department provides next-day building inspections and issues same-day building permits for minor projects.
    • The City maintains full-time Code Compliance staff that investigates complaints regarding potential code violations.

 Q: Will my rural setting change?

  • The City respects your rights as a property owner and annexation will not require you to develop your property. You live in the Wenatchee Urban Growth Area where urban scale development is expected.
  • Development Codes in your area of the County are the same as the City’s

 Q: If my property is annexed, will I be required to connect to sewer?

  • No, however if your existing on-site system fails and you are within 200 feet of an existing public sewer, the city will request that you connect at that time.
  • If a sewer main is not in your street, sewer can be extended through a Local Improvement District, by a developer, or by a city funded project where your property may be assessed the proportional share of construction cost.
  • If a sewer main is already in your street, then connection to sewer is easily accessible. Any assessments, system investment fees, and connection fees would apply at the time of connection. The city public works department will estimate fees due upon request.
  • If annexed, the City may be eligible to apply for sewer grants for your neighborhood.
  • Please contact the Public Works Engineering Division at (509) 888-3200 for more information.

 Q: Will my taxes / utility rates change?

  • The total taxes a residential property owner would pay if their property were annexed are generally very similar to those already being paid in the County.
  • Tax structures are different in the City and the County, please refer to the sample for these differences.
  • City Utility Tax will apply to water, sewer, storm, garbage, power, gas, phone, and TV.

 Q: If annexed, do I obtain building permits from the County or the City?

  • After annexation, building permits will be obtained from the City and not the County.
  • If you already have a building permit, the City will honor the permit you have obtained from the County.
  • In your area, the City and the County Building codes are the same.

Q: Does the City provide animal control services?

A: Yes, the City works closely with the Humane Society in order to provide a full level of animal control services.

Q: If annexed into the City, how is my agricultural operation impacted?


  • Agriculture is a permitted use in all residential zones. You will be able to continue to farm as long as you choose.
  • In your area, the City and County permitted land uses (including agriculture) are the same.

Q: If annexed, will my zoning change?


  • No.
  • In your area, the City and the County Zoning designations are the same.

Q: Does the City have any pending lawsuits or liabilities that would affect me if annexed?

A: No.

Q: Will annexation change school district boundaries?

A: No, annexation will not change any school district boundaries.

Q: I have a concealed weapon permit. If I annex, would I have to go to the Wenatchee Police Department to renew it?

A: No, you would not be required to process a new or renewed concealed weapon permit through the Wenatchee Police Department. You may do so at any law enforcement agency in the State.

Q: Would annexation trigger a requirement to install curbs, gutters, and sidewalks?

  • No.
  • Curbs, gutters, and sidewalks are triggered with substantial redevelopment.
  • In your area, City and County development standards are the same.

Q: When are City Council Meetings?

A: The Wenatchee City Council meets on the second and fourth Thursdays of every month at 5:15pm in the City Council Chambers at 301 Yakima Street, 3rd Floor in Wenatchee.

Q: Will my business need to obtain a business license?

A: Yes, in accordance with WCC5.76 and 5.12, all businesses will need to obtain a business license before operating in the City of Wenatchee. Please contact the Finance Department at (509) 888-6229 for more information.

Q: Will anything be different when I renew my vehicle registration?

A: Yes, the City of Wenatchee has a Transportation Benefit District to help pay for transportation facilities. The district charges a $20 fee per vehicle for vehicle registration.


Q: What city utility tax rates does should I expect?

A: The following are the current rates in the City of Wenatchee:

  • Water - Estimated 18%
  • Sewer - Estimated 18%
  • Stormwater - Estimated 18%
  • Garbage: - Estimated 16%
  • Power: Estimated 6%
  • Gas - Estimated 6%
  • Phone - Estimated 6%
  • TV - Estimated 5% Franchise Fee and 5% Utility Tax
Q: How will my participation in government change?
You will be represented by the Mayor and Wenatchee City Council. You will be able to vote in the next upcoming election. In addition, many of the city’s Advisory Boards have requirements of city residency and now you can volunteer. Advisory Boards include: Parks, Recreation and Arts; Diversity; Planning; Code Enforcement; Historic Preservation; Lodging Tax; Finally, after one year of residency, you can run for Mayor or City Council.